Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A New Senshi: Chapter 7.7 - Now I Know How Cinderella Felt

Natalie was on her way back to the apartment to relax before getting for the ball. She was lost in thought, looking at the ring that Edward had given her. That was two presents he’d given her now, this ring and the jacket. She couldn’t help but to blush a little.
Natalie was so lost in thought that she didn’t see Konoka waving to her. “Natalie-sempai!” she called. That got her attention.
“Hi Konoka, what’s up?” she said with a smile.
Konoka chuckled. “You seem off in your own little world, everything alright?”
Natalie smiled. “Yeah everything is fine. I’m actually kind of surprised to see you. I figured you’d be off at the tournament or enjoying the festival.”
“The tournament just ended actually and Asuna and Set-chan had patrol duty so I thought I’d head back to the dorms for awhile. I didn’t expect to see you alone either to be honest; I thought you’d be with Edward-sempai.”
Natalie blushed a bit. “I was until a little while ago, he had patrol duty too so I figured I’d go back to my apartment for awhile and relax before the ball later. I have to figure out what to do with this mop any way,” she said idly flipping her hair.
“I could help you if you want,” Konoka volunteered. “I’m going too, Grandpa’s orders.”
“You’d help me?” she asked. “If you’re going don’t you need time to get ready too?”
Konoka shook her head. “I don’t need a lot of time. Why don’t we stop by your apartment and get your stuff and then you can get ready with me at the dorm.”
“Thanks Konoka, that’s really nice of you.”
“No problem,” she said with a smile. “Let’s get going.”
The two headed off and two hours later they were all set to go. A car showed up to take them to the hall.
“You ready Cinderella?” Konoka asked chuckling.
“Yeah,” she said blushing. “I just can’t believe…” The dress that the Headmaster had provided for her was far more beautiful than anything she’d ever worn before. It was sleeveless and emerald green, accented with silver sequins fitting her closely until about her hips where it flowed out gently around her and just skirting the floor. She hadn’t gone to prom her last year of high school, she’d been too busy and she didn’t have a date anyway. Konoka had done her hair perfectly as well. She had pulled up half of it into a bun and let the rest hang in a cascade below it. She’d even put in little silver streaks to make it sparkle when the light hit it.
“Then let’s go,” Konoka said, taking Natalie’s hand and leading her out to the car.
When they arrived, there were footmen at the door helping people out. Other attendees were strolling up from all over. It looked like this was not only for staff but for older students as well; it looked like middle school and up. A footman came to Natalie’s door and helped her out. When she stepped out, she felt like a movie star. People were staring. Konoka came around the car and linked her arm through Natalie’s and the two of them went up the stairs.
“Feels like a fairy tale does it Natalie-sempai?”
Natalie nodded. “Yeah, I’ve never gone to anything like this before, not even my high school prom. I was too busy and even if I hadn’t been, I didn’t have a date so it wouldn’t have been as much fun.”
“But you have a date tonight right?” Konoka asked with a wink.
Natalie blushed and sighed a bit, happily. “That’s right, I do.”
“Then I’ll leave you here for now. I have to go find Grandpa anyway; he’s probably got a line-up of young men waiting to meet me. He’s always trying to find me a husband. When will he ever learn, I’m fourteen and I’m not ready for that yet.”
Natalie chuckled. “Alright, thank you for everything Konoka. I’ll catch up with you later then.”
Konoka waved and disappeared into the crowd of people. Natalie wandered around for a few minutes just taking it all in. Everyone was so elegantly dressed, women in fancy dresses, men in tuxedos, it really did feel like a fairy tale. The music was playing, people were dancing, it was something she’d never forget.
Natalie was standing alone when a young man put his hand on her shoulder. “A beautiful young lady like you shouldn’t be standing here alone, might I have a dance?”
Natalie turned around to see a handsome young man there. He couldn’t have been older than sixteen. She was waiting for Edward, she didn’t think she should. “I’m actually waiting for someone so I don’t know as I…”
The young man chuckled. “You don’t recognize me do you?”
Natalie took a closer look at him then it dawned on her. It was Negi. He actually looked pretty good older and in a tuxedo. “Negi,” she whispered, “What are you doing? Why are you…?”
“Older?” he replied chuckling. “It’s a spell. I’m actually trying to avoid attention for a bit. As you know, my students can be quite demanding and there are also some of the high school girls that seem to be chasing me about. It also seems I made quite an impression on people during the tournament, now they all want me to talk to them.”
Natalie laughed. “Alright, I don’t think it’ll hurt to have one dance while I wait for Ed to get here. You know you’re pretty smooth for a ten year old.”
Negi blushed and laughed along with her as he took her hand and led her to the center of the dance floor. As they danced, they swept easily across the floor, turning a few heads as they did. Those who didn’t know better would say they were a couple, they looked so natural together. It wouldn’t be long before they were interrupted though. The crowd had split a bit and a man was coming towards them, it was Edward.
As he approached, Negi let Natalie go. Natalie’s breath caught in her chest and her heart felt like it was going to burst out of her chest it was beating so fast. She’d never even imagined Edward dressed up before and here he was, his hair pulled into a pony tail and bound a third of the way down with pure black cord. The tuxedo was a collarless one with perfect lines and the same pure black as the cord in his bright blonde hair. The tuxedo made his golden eyes shimmer even more brightly and intensely than they did before. He looked like a modern Prince Charming.
“Thanks for keeping her company until I got here, but this princess is spoken for,” he said eyeing Negi intensely, angrily. He of course didn’t realize it was Negi though it may not have mattered even if he had known. He then put his arm around Natalie’s waist lightly but enough to pull her closer to him.
Negi didn’t argue and he bowed his head to Natalie. “Thank you for the dance,” he said as he took her hand and kissed the back of it gently before walking away. He correctly assumed it was probably just better to leave.
Now that Negi was gone, Edward pulled her closer and she was almost forced to look him in the eye. His gaze wasn’t as intense, he still looked angry but he also looked a bit hurt. They continued the dance, looking even more impressive than when she had been dancing with Negi.
“Who was that?” he asked, trying to keep his temper under control and Natalie could tell that was what he was doing.
Natalie looked at him strangely, a bit confused. “That was only Negi, Ed.”
“Don’t lie to me Natalie; Negi’s a pipsqueak ten year old. That guy was a lot older.”
“I’m not lying, Negi cast a spell on himself to make himself look older, and that’s all. It was just a dance, why are you so angry?”
Edward didn’t say anything. When he’d come in and seen her with another guy it had felt like someone had sent a skewer straight through his chest. He didn’t want any other guy to even look at her little own put his hands on her. After a moment he finally tried to answer her, “I just couldn’t…”
That’s when it dawned on her. “Oh I get it Ed,” she said with a bit of a grin. “You were jealous weren’t you?”
The song ended and Natalie took Edward by the hand and led him outside into one of the terraces that were attached to the hall. Letting go of her hand, he went over to a railing and leaned against it, not looking at her. “I wasn’t jealous; I just couldn’t stand to see you dancing with someone else. I wanted to beat the crap out of him the moment I saw him with his hands on you.”
She went over and stood next to him, leaning a little on the railing too. The World Tree could be seen faintly glowing in the distance. “Yes you were. That feeling of wanting to hurt him, that was jealousy Ed.”
He stood up completely and turned to look at her. He couldn’t help but to notice that the silver streaks in her hair glinted softly as her hair drifted easily around her face and shoulders in the breeze. He’d noticed how beautiful she looked the moment he’d arrived and seen her but right now it seemed to really hit him. “Natalie…” he started, his voice soft. She was right, he was jealous. That’s when it hit him, how he really felt about her and it scared him. There had been a part of him that had known pretty much from day one but he’d been able to deny it this entire time, but he couldn’t anymore.
She stood up and looked at him. Tears had started to flow in thin lines down his cheeks. “Ed? Are you alright?” she asked as she reached up to wipe the tears away. It wasn’t like him to cry, especially for what seemed to her as no real reason. He caught her hand before she could though and pulled her to him, holding her close so that her head rested against his shoulder. She instinctively held him back, he was shaking a little. “Ed, you’re scaring me. Are you alright?” Her voice sounded concerned. This wasn’t like him at all, he didn’t act like this. What had come over him?
This feeling was irrational and complicated and painful but seeing her, being with her, it made him happier than he’d been in a long time. He had to tell her, he had to make his voice work. Finally he was able to manage, his voice quivering, quiet and gentle. “Natalie, I… I…” He let his grip on her go a little so he could look in her in the eyes, regaining a bit of his composure. “I love you,” he said softly before pulling her close again and kissing her.

No comments:

Post a Comment