Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A New Senshi: Chapter 11.1 - Time To Go... Home

They ended up staying the night with Yuko before they decided to leave. That morning Natalie and Edward went outside getting ready to go. Yuko and Watanuki were there to see them off but James was absent.
“Yuko, where’s my father? I thought…”
Yuko shook her head. “No, he can’t be here anymore while you are. The conditions of the deal that was made had been met.”
Natalie looked sad. “Oh, so he leaves without saying good-bye again…”
“It was because he didn’t need to say good-bye Natalie,” she replied with a sly smile.
“What do you mean?” Natalie asked confused.
“Once you’re settled, write,” was all Yuko said in response.
“How…”
“Just open a portal and toss it in, I’ll get it. Oh and did I neglect to mention James visits often?” Yuko said with a wink. “And don’t worry about your mother and your friends, they know you’re safe and they’re fine.”
It took Natalie a moment then it dawned on her. If she sent letters to Yuko then she could share them with her father and as far as her mother and Amy and Katie, well Yuko must have a way to talk to them too. She wanted to ask but something said Yuko wouldn’t tell her if she did. “Will I be ever be able to hear from them?”
“Well portals are two way doors aren’t they? No one can stop me from writing my letters in response to yours.”
Natalie smiled. This certainly put her heart at further ease. “Thank you Yuko, for everything,” she said bowing her head.
Yuko waved it off. “It’s nothing; I’m being properly compensated for my assistance. James certainly does know how to get his hands on premium sake.”
Natalie couldn’t help but to laugh. “At least he’s of use to someone.”
“Indeed.”
Edward then put his hand on her shoulder. “We should get going…”
Natalie put her hand on his and nodded. “You’re right.” She took her pen out and transformed. “Again, thank you.”
Natalie opened the portal that led back to Resembool. They were just getting ready to step through when Yuko remembered something else. “Oh and I think Amy and Nina are wonderful names for a little girls.”
Edward and Natalie both looked at Yuko. “Excuse me?”
“You’ll know what I’m talking about soon enough… Now good luck you two,” she replied basically shooing them away.
They looked at each other equally confused. Edward shrugged knowing there was no way he was going to figure it out now. With a final wave, they stepped through the portal.
When they came out, they were outside the front door of the familiar yellow house on the hill. Edward couldn’t help but to sigh happily, glad to be back. Natalie transformed back to normal. Edward went to go up the stairs but Natalie hung back. When he realized she wasn’t right behind him he turned to look at her.
“Is everything alright?” he asked as he went back down to where she was standing.
Natalie bit at her lower lip and looked away from him. This was it, they were here and she was going to be living here. All of the sudden she got really scared and nervous.
He put his hands on her shoulders and managed to contort himself to look into her eyes. “Come on spill it…” Edward said. Natalie just shook her head. Getting frustrated he decided to pick her up, he quickly slid his arm under her knees and lifted her up, forcing her to wrap her arms around his neck while he put his other arm around her back to support her. Natalie screamed at the sudden action but Edward just laughed. “Fine, if you won’t walk on your own, I’ll just have to carry you!”
“Ed! Put me down!!!!” she squealed still holding onto him for dear life. “Let me go!”
He looked into her eyes and grinned like a goof. “No way, I’m never letting you go.”
Natalie blushed. She didn’t know what to say.
Alphonse came out of the house having heard her scream. “Natalie! Brother! You’re back!”
Edward turned, still carrying Natalie and smiled at his younger brother. “Yup, we’re home. I have to admit, I didn’t expect to see you here Al. I figured you’d still be in Xing.”
“Brother… I already went and came back…”
“That fast? We weren’t gone for even a month…”
Alphonse laughed. “Brother, it’s been over a year since you left…”
Edward almost dropped Natalie in his shock. She had to hold tighter just to make sure she didn’t fall. “Ed! Be careful! Now come on, put me down!”
Alphonse motioned for them to come inside and without putting her down; Edward carried her into the house. It was almost like two newlyweds coming home for the first time. He set her down on the couch and sat down next to her. Alphonse went into the kitchen before joining them.
Natalie gave Edward a look. “I do have two perfectly good legs you know…”
“Yeah I know,” he said with a wink, “but I wanted to carry you.” He ran his hand through his bangs and sighed. “Wow, a whole year…”
“Well I did say that time could move differently in different worlds. So I guess even though it was only a few weeks for us, it was a lot longer than that here…”
“Wait, then that means I’d be 18 now… now I’m the same age as you!” Edward said sounding excited.
Natalie shook her head and laughed. “You goof ball that means I’m a year older too.”
Edward looked so defeated when she pointed that out to him. That’s the face he had when Alphonse came back into the room. He couldn’t help but to laugh when he saw his older brother looking that way.
“Ed! It’s been a long time!” said a voice that both Natalie and Edward recognized. When Alphonse had come back into the room he hadn’t been alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment