Monday, October 17, 2011

A New Senshi: Chapter 10.1 - Something Is Horribly Wrong Here

As they travelled through the portal Natalie felt a sharp tug in her chest like something was pulling at her very soul. When they came out, she collapsed on the floor clutching her chest. She felt like she was having a heart attack. Edward seeing her that way knelt down beside her. “Natalie, what’s wrong?”
“I don’t know, but it feels like someone just tried to rip my heart out,” she said sounding a little bit winded. “I’ve never felt like that coming through a portal.”
“I told you this boy would only cause you trouble,” said a voice that Natalie recognized almost immediately.
“Yuko?” she said as she tried to get to her feet. Edward hooked his arms under hers to help. “What are you doing here?”
Yuko just shook her head. “You’re not where you think you are my dear. You’ve landed in my shop again.”
“How? Did you high jack me again?”
“This isn’t my doing. Come, let’s make ourselves more comfortable and I’ll explain.”
“But…”
“No buts,” Yuko said as she motioned for Watanuki. “Help our guests to my lounge Watanuki and then bring refreshments, they’re going to be here for awhile.”
Watanuki didn’t argue as he took one side of Natalie while Edward held the other. Together they helped her walk into lounge and sat her in one of the prepared chairs. Once she was safely seated, Watanuki indicated that Edward should have a seat in the chair beside her. Edward did as Watanuki indicated and then Watanuki disappeared into the next room. Yuko had yet to join them.
“Where are we?” Edward asked, keeping his voice quiet. “Who are these people?”
“This is a shop that exists in a world between worlds,” Natalie answered, finally starting to feel better. “The lady you saw is Yuko, she runs this place and the gentleman that helped you get me in here is Watanuki her assistant.”
“How did we end up here? Given that you said this a world between worlds, I’m guessing this isn’t your world.”
“You’re right, it’s not and I have no idea how we ended up here or why. To be honest, I never wanted to come back here at all.”
“Back here? You’ve been here before?”
Natalie sighed exasperated. “Weren’t you listening when we arrived?” she asked sounding a bit annoyed.
“Sorry, but I was a little distracted worrying about you,” he snapped back at her.
Natalie took a deep breath. She couldn’t blame him for getting a bit annoyed at her and she knew the reason he snapped was her fault. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound ungrateful,” she said looking at him, her eyes soft and apologetic.
Edward shook his head. “It’s alright, I get it. I didn’t mean to snap either.”
Natalie smiled warily. “But to answer your question, yes, I have been here before. It was right before I came to your world. Evidently someone paid a price for me to come here to get this,” she said holding out her necklace. “She also told me about my taboo, the one about taking people from their own worlds.”
“So she’s the one that left out exactly what would happen?”
Natalie nodded. “Yeah, she just told me what I told you.”
That was the moment that Yuko came into the room. “And now you’ve seen what would happen if you broke that taboo though I’m sure you don’t understand it yet,” she said as she sat down on her couch.
“Excuse me?” Natalie asked.
“You took this young man here from his world and now you’ll find out the price you’ve paid for that.”
“Hey wait a second!” Edward exclaimed as he stood up from his chair. “She didn’t take me anywhere, I went on my own. I’m the one that jumped the portal even after she told me not to!”
Yuko sighed sounding a bit annoyed. “Sit down and calm yourself young man, I said I was going to explain.”
Natalie reached out and tugged on Edward’s jacket. When he looked back at her he could see in her eyes that the best thing for him to do was sit back down and not push it any further.
“Now, were should I begin?” Yuko said lighting her pipe and then taking a drag from it. “Well do you remember when I said you’d lose something precious to you if you every broke the taboo and removed someone from their world?”
Natalie nodded. “Yeah, but you never said what exactly I’d lose.”
“Well you were trying to go home when you were yanked from the space between worlds and dropped here correct?”
“Yes, get to the point Yuko…”
Yuko chuckled. “I’m surprised you didn’t figure it out. Your price is simply this; you broke the taboo so the price you have to pay is your home.”
Natalie’s jaw dropped leaving her speechless temporarily. She felt like she’d been kicked in the stomach, her breath catching in her throat. “Wait… are… are you saying…” Natalie started.
“Wait a minute, are you saying because I went with her she’s not allowed to go home anymore?” Edward finished.
Yuko sat back with her pipe in her fingers. “That’s exactly right.”
“But how is that a fair and equal price? I’m the one that gave up on my home and went with her, punish me!”
Natalie reached over and put her hand on his arm. “No, I should never have allowed the chance for you to do what you did. I was careless so no matter what, it’s my price to pay.”
Edward looked over at her, there were tears streaming down her cheeks but the look in her eyes wasn’t what he’d expected. He couldn’t explain it. He expected her to be sad but that’s not what he saw. It looked like regret, like she’d just plain given up. “Natalie?”
She didn’t look at him as she got up. “Yuko, I need some air. Is it safe for me to walk around here?”
“It is. Outside of the fence is just Japan so no one should give you trouble.”
“Thank you, I’ll be back in awhile then…” she said leaving not waiting for Edward or anyone else.
Edward stood up and made to go after her. Yuko stood and grabbed his shoulder before he could get anywhere. “I wouldn’t…”
Edward pulled away from her. “How could you just expect me to NOT go after her?! She can’t be alone right now!”
“She has a lot to think about Mr. Elric and right now you’re not exactly the best person to be talking to her all things considered.”
Edward grabbed Yuko’s collar, the look of determination in his eyes. “That’s exactly why I’m the only one who CAN talk to her right now.” He pushed Yuko back down on the couch and ran out after Natalie. He couldn’t let her give up all together, just like she wouldn’t let him give up. She’d given up so much for him; it wasn’t fair for her to shoulder this entire burden alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment