Friday, September 23, 2011

A New Senshi: Chapter 4.4 - A Gift From The Truth

As they travelled through the universal space, Natalie made sure to keep a tight hold on Edward’s hand. She hoped this was alright. She knew that she wasn’t allowed to take people from their own world but since this place was technically a world within his own world and a place that he’d already been to, it should be fine.
When they emerged from the portal they stood in front of the gateway of truth. Before them was the keeper of this place.
“Well, well, well, what do we have here? I never thought I’d see you again,” the keeper said looking at Edward. “And you as well,” he said turning to now to look at Natalie. “I’m very surprised to see the ferryman here.”
Edward was speechless. How were they able to get here without the transmutation circle? “Natalie… what’s going on here?”
“I’m proving my story to you Edward. We’re here without the transmutation circle aren’t we?”
Edward nodded. “Yeah but…”
“Why here? Simple, I’m killing two birds with one stone. I’m proving to you that I am what I said I was and I’m going to get your alchemy back.”
“What?!”
“You heard me Edward. Look, I need you to know you can trust me and this was the only way I could come up with. That and Alphonse told me what happened after you got him back. This is the least I can do to help you get up and move forward again.” Natalie’s tone was resolute and absolute. There was no way he could argue with her.
“But why is that so important to you?” he asked, genuinely confused.
Natalie smiled looking him directly in the eye and put her hand softly on his cheek. “If this works, I’ll tell you when we get back alright?” He nodded. What did he have to lose at this point anyway?
She then took her hand away from his face and turned her attention back to the keeper. He grinned at her. “Quite the task you’ve set for yourself there Ferryman.”
“I know and I know there’s a price I have to pay to get Edward’s gateway back.”
The gatekeeper still simply grinner at her. “And?”
Natalie took a deep breath, hardening her resolve. “Alright, tell me how this grabs you. By being here and going through that gate, my gate, I’ll see my version of the truth which should awaken my own ability to do alchemy. When I do that then I turn around and exchange my ability for Edward’s.”
The keeper laughed at her. “That’s quite a plan Ferryman, very well thought out except for one thing.”
“What’s that?”
“It wouldn’t be an equivalent exchange. Your power and the base for it, both your star power and your alchemic power are based in something stronger, more valuable than that boy’s is.”
“Alright, then what would an equivalent exchange be?”
“You don’t need to make one.”
“Excuse me?”
“Just what I said, you don’t need to make an exchange. As I said before, your gateway is powered differently and because of who you are you get your power from the universal creator, a power equal to, if not greater, than my own.”
“That doesn’t seem fair though. If I go in there and just retrieve Edward’s gateway, who’s to say that he won’t lose Alphonse again?”
“First of all Ferryman, Edward paid his price and got his reward, I wouldn’t take that back. I humble people but contrary to what you may have read I’m not THAT cruel but if you still insist on making it ‘fair’ that can be arranged.”
“I do, so what’s the price Keeper?”
He grinned. Humans, even gifted or special ones, were such strange and entertaining creatures. He then pointed to her midsection. “You have a great vision of creating a better tomorrow for the next generation so to take your ability to create your own next generation seems fair.”
“Natalie! No! You can’t!” Edward said as he started to move forward.
She put her hand up and he stopped. “No Edward, it’s alright, I came here with you for a purpose and I have to pay the price for that purpose.”
“But why? Why give that up for me?”
“I told you Edward, if we make it back I’ll tell you. Now let me finish my business here so we can go back.”
Edward stood there speechless. He couldn’t believe she was doing this for him. As far as he knew they were practically strangers. Sure she knew about his past but they had only just actually met today, why give this much?
“So Ferryman, still willing to do this?”
Natalie gritted her teeth and nodded. “I am.”
The keeper grinned. “Excellent. Now all you have to do is take him and enter the gate making sure to keep him close the entire time. It’s the only way you’ll be able to find his gateway in there. When you emerge and then leave this place you’ll have what you came here for and your price will be paid, understood?”
Natalie nodded then turned to Edward. “Come on Edward,” she said holding her hand out to him to take. “Let’s get your alchemy back.”
Silently he took her hand. Natalie noticed that a single tear stream had run down his cheek. She took her other hand and gently wiped it away. “It’s going to be alright Edward. Now come on,” she said as she pushed open the gate. Side by side they entered and the door closed behind them.
A few moments later, Edward’s gate appeared next to Natalie’s and they both emerged from Natalie’s gate. Doing as the keeper had told her she immediately made a portal back to the house on the hill and they left the gate world.
Once they were gone, the keeper grinned.
“You can come out now,” he said. When he did, Yuko appeared as if stepping out from behind some unseen wall.
“I told that girl that he was only going to cause her trouble.”
“Yes well a bit of believing she paid the price will be good for her. She’ll learn soon enough just how much trouble he’s going to be for her anyway. This is nothing.”
Yuko nodded. “We’ll just have to wait and see.”

No comments:

Post a Comment