Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A New Senshi: Chapter 2.7 - The Next Step

A week had passed since the battle with Nexia. Natalie had spent that time training her powers under the coaching of the other scouts. She had gotten really good at using her portals. She was now able to easily create a portal and have it come out exactly where she wanted. They had spent time working with her on the Spatial Rift as well.
Natalie was actually surprised by how the power worked. Spatial Rift basically created an unstable portal within whoever was hit by it, blowing the target apart when the portal collapsed. She had to make sure to use that power carefully. It wouldn’t be good if she accidently blew up an innocent person. Natalie was pretty sure though that once she left Crystal Tokyo she would never have to use that power again.
That got her to thinking, how much longer was she going to stay here? Had time passed back home? If it had, how was she going to explain this? Wait, who said she even had to go home at all? She wasn’t actually ready to go home yet. If she could come here, how many other worlds that she thought were only stories could she go to? That gave her an idea but she wasn’t really sure she should go there. Natalie decided to think about it a bit more. Who was she kidding? OF course she was going to go there. This was just too good to pass on.
Sitting in the room that Serenity had allowed her to use Natalie stared out the window, thinking about the possibilities. When Jupiter knocked, it almost made Natalie jump out of her skin.
“Hey Charon, what’s up?”
“Just thinking about some things.”
“Mind if I come in?”
Natalie motioned for her to come in. “Sure, make yourself at home.”
“Something bothering you?” Jupiter asked as she sat on the bed. She could see that Natalie had something pretty heavy on her mind.
Natalie sighed slightly. “Not really bothering me. I was just thinking about what to do next.”
“Next?”
“Yeah, next. I can’t stay here forever but I don’t exactly want to go home yet. I was thinking about what worlds I wanted to visit before I finally did go home.”
Jupiter looked at Natalie sadly. She didn’t want her to go. “You know, you don’t have to leave. I’m sure if you talked to her, the Queen would let you stay. Besides, you’re one of us now.”
“I’m an outer though. I was never meant to stay here in the palace and protect the Queen directly. That and I can’t get it out of my head the fact that the Queen made a point to call me an outer after the fight with Nexia was over. It was like she was telling me that it’s alright if I want to pursue my own path.”
Jupiter shook her head. “I don’t think she meant that you had to leave though, not unless that’s what you really want.”
Natalie got up and sat next to Jupiter. She couldn’t help but smile at her. “I know what you’re trying to do and I appreciate it. I could stay here; it’s just that there are other places I want to see. Besides, if I don’t eventually go home, there are people there that would never forgive me for leaving without saying good-bye.”
Jupiter sighed heavily knowing that she couldn’t stop Natalie from going. It was clear that she had already made up her mind. “Have you told the Queen yet?”
Natalie shook her head. “No she doesn’t. I actually just made a definite decision right before you got here. I do have an audience with her this afternoon though so I was planning to tell her then.”
“When are you planning to go?”
“Probably after I talk to the Queen, why?”
“So soon? Why? Why can’t you wait a few days at least?”
Natalie chuckled a bit. She knew Jupiter was trying to stall her. “No, it’s best if I go now,” she said gently and leaned over to hug her new friend. “Thank you for everything Jupiter.”
Jupiter felt tears well up in her eyes. She really had grown attached to Natalie. “You talk like you’re never coming back. You can’t do that, you have to come back and visit. We’ll miss you if you don’t.” Jupiter was trying her hardest not to let the tears flow.
“You know I’ll come back and visit,” Natalie said as she let Jupiter go. She could see the tears at the corners of her eyes. Natalie couldn’t help but wipe them away. “Aw come on Jupiter, none of that.”
A bit embarrassed, Jupiter finished the job and wiped the rest of the tears away from her face. “Sorry, I’ve never been good at this sort of thing.” Jupiter stood up from the bed. “I should be going. You have a lot to do before you meet with the Queen.”
Natalie nodded. “Yeah, I’ll see you later.”
Jupiter smiled at Natalie as she let herself out. She didn’t have much time so as soon as she was out of ear shot, Jupiter started to run.
A few hours later, Natalie made her way down to the main hall. When she walked in, everyone was there waiting for her.
“What? What’s all this?” she asked as she noticed the room had been modestly decorated as well.
“Welcome Charon,” Serenity said with a smile.
“Please, just Natalie. It was my name before I got here and once I leave I’ll be going back to it. I hope you understand.”
Serenity nodded smiling. “Of course but I do wish you’d reconsider Natalie. I do understand your need to leave though.”
“Natalie, you don’t have anything with you. You’re not taking your costume or anything?” Jupiter asked.
“Nope,” Natalie said smiling. “It just means I’ll have to come back.”
Jupiter smirked. “You bet it does but don’t worry, we’ll take care of it for you until you get back.”
“Thanks and thank you everyone for everything you’ve done for me and given me. I suppose its time to go.”
“Where are you heading?” Mercury asked.
“Well I thought I’d check out a few other worlds, places I thought were only stories, like here. Then I might head home for awhile so they know I’m alright.”
“Just be careful Natalie and remember what I told you. I don’t know what will happen if you break the taboo so be careful not to,” said Serenity.
“I’ll remember, I promise,” Natalie replied. “Well, now it’s really time to go.” Natalie lifted her staff getting ready to open the portal.
“Wait!” Jupiter called as she ran over and handed a box to Natalie. “I have a present for you.”
Natalie took the small box from Jupiter and opened its lid. “Jupiter…” she said, tears in her eyes now. In the box was a bracelet. On it hung a single charm, a rose. Natalie knew that roses were Jupiter’s thing. Natalie put the bracelet on and then hugged Jupiter once more.
“So you won’t forget.”
“Thank you,” Natalie said through tears.
She let Jupiter go and wiped her eyes. “Good-bye everyone!” Natalie said waving. She then placed her staff to the floor and the portal opened. “Thank you again!”
Stepping into the portal, Natalie was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment