Monday, September 12, 2011

A New Senshi: Chapter 2.3 - The Bigger Picture

Natalie looked down at herself and at her staff. “So you’re telling me I can go anywhere I want to?”
Serenity nodded. “Yes, you can but just as Pluto has taboos so do you…”
Taboos, Natalie knew about that. She remembered seeing that Pluto had three of them, don’t allow time travel, don’t leave her post, and don’t stop time. The first two were more forgivable but the third; Pluto had paid with her life when she’d broken that one. Evidently that had yet to occur here though since Pluto was clearly still here. “What is my taboo?” she asked bracing herself for what was to come.
“Yours is simple Charon, you must never take someone from their world. It is ill advised for you to take anyone at all, as they could get separated from you and be stuck between worlds and lost forever…”
“Like not having a key when going through the fourth dimension…”
“Exactly.”
Pluto chimed in at this. “Wait, how did you already know about the fourth dimension?” She looked concerned. No one was supposed to know about the fourth dimension unless they were of the Silver Millennium. This girl had just found out about her place, there was no way she should have known.
Natalie started to sweat a bit. She’d messed up again it would seem. “Well… um…” Her mind raced. Was it alright for her to tell them how this place and everyone here being a story in her world?
As if reading Natalie’s thoughts, Serenity clarified her confusion. “It’s alright; you can tell her how you know.”
“Well, if it’s not going to hurt anything. You see, in my world, I’ve seen your story as a television show and read about it in books. Back home, everyone here is just a fictional character.”
The room was silent. The looks in everyone’s eyes was that of confusion, not knowing how this could be possible. They were real and they knew it. They bled when cut, cried, laughed, everything a living, breathing person could do.
“Queen…” started Pluto.
Serenity shook her head. “Its truth, there are multiple ‘worlds’ that exist in this universe. We of all people should know this. So yes, in Charon’s world, it is very possible that our world is just a story. There are documented cases of people having visions of other worlds and then writing about them. And who are we to question the possibility that when someone creates a world that somewhere it doesn’t actually come into existence? There infinite possibilities out there. The world in which we live is a sliver of existence. Sailor Charon has been gifted with the ability to go to any of them that she wishes.”
Pluto nodded, accepting this. She knew the Queen was right. The existence of the fourth dimension was actually more than enough proof that all of this was possible.
Natalie looked at Serenity. “I just have one other question though.”
“What is that?”
“Given that I am a Sailor Scout, why was I born into my world and not into this one? I’m assuming that I existed when the old Silver Millennium was destroyed, why did I end up in a different place?”
Serenity took a deep breath and sighed. “You should have been reborn with us but when our star seeds were sent to the Earth of that time’s future, yours also jumped through space. It would seem your power had an effect even though your spirit was dormant. To be honest, it was only recently that I discovered your existence myself.”
Natalie’s brow perked a bit when the Queen mentioned this. “Really?”
Serenity nodded. “Yes. I had been going through records in our archives and saw references to you in the systems from the old castle on the moon. References to your former life would actually be more accurate. I had wondered what had happened to you and started looking for more information, that’s how I knew why you hadn’t been reborn with us. It was just a matter of time though before you returned to us once your reborn power matured, I was sure of it.”
This was heavy. There was so much for Natalie to take in. Now she knew how Serenity had felt when she’d awakened as Sailor Moon and maybe even a little of what it felt like when she also found out she was the princess. “Why don’t I remember any of this? Shouldn’t I have had memories come back to me when I awakened as a scout?”
Serenity sighed. “This I can’t explain. Maybe in time the memories will come back but for now that’s all I can offer you.”
Natalie nodded taking a deep breath. “OK. So what happens now?”
“That, Charon, is up to you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment