Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A New Senshi: Chapter 3.1 - High Jacked

The expanse of the universe flew by Natalie again. It wasn’t so bad this time as she had practiced this so many times now. She wasn’t sure she would ever get used to it though. When she stepped out of the portal, she wasn’t where she had intended to be though. It appeared that she was in a traditional Japanese style house.
“Welcome, we’ve been expecting you young lady,” said the woman sitting on the couch behind Natalie.
Natalie quickly turned to see who had spoken to her. “Yuko?!” exclaimed Natalie. “What? How? This isn’t where I was trying to go.”
Yuko nodded. “That is true, but you need to come here first.”
“Hitsuzen right?”
“Cleaver girl. Good, you know of inevitability so it saves me having to explain it to you but that’s right. There’s something you need to obtain here first before you go off on your little journey.”
“I’m not sure I follow. There’s no wish I need granted at the moment that I can’t grant for myself.”
Yuko smirked. “Is that so? Watanuki, can you come here?”
Watanuki walked into the room and started speaking to Yuko but Natalie couldn’t understand a word he said. He sounded a bit agitated though but she knew that was normal for him when he spoke to Yuko. She did recognize that he was speaking Japanese though.
“Can you go to the storehouse and get the necklace that’s in the purple butterfly box?”
Watanuki responded again in Japanese and went off to do as Yuko had asked of him. Natalie guessed that he had agreed in some put upon way as he usually did when she had read the manga.
“Have you figured out what it is you need that you don’t have?” asked Yuko.
“Well I have a question, why is it that I can understand you but I can’t understand Watanuki?”
“Because young lady I’m special and you don’t know Japanese.”
“Alright, then I suppose what you’re telling me is that I need is a way to understand any language and have anyone else understand me.”
“Very good, and I can do that for you.”
“For a price right? I’ve read about you and this shop. You grant wishes in exchange for a fair and equitable price. So if I take this magical translator from you, what is my price going to be?”
“Nothing,” Yuko answered flatly.
“Nothing? How does it cost me nothing?”
“Simple, payment for this item has already been received.”
“From who?”
“Never mind that, it’s not important.”
“To you maybe, but I want to know who I at least owe a thank you to.”
“You’ll know someday.”
Natalie didn’t have a chance to argue any further. Watanuki had returned with the butterfly box that Yuko had asked for.
“Thank you Watanuki,” Yuko said as she took the box from him and opened its lid. Inside was a necklace that had a red jewel hung from a silver chain. “Come here,” Yuko said to Natalie.
She did as Yuko asked. Moving between the couch and the table that stood in front of it, Natalie knelt down in front of Yuko. She took the necklace from the box and put it around Natalie’s neck.
“It looks nice on you,” said Watanuki.
“Thanks. Hey wait a second! I can understand you know!”
“It’s a very powerful charm but you have to be wearing it around your neck for it to work.”
“I can’t just keep it in my pocket or in my hand?”
“No. Keep it around your neck.”
Natalie nodded. “Fine, at least it goes with my outfit.” She actually just now realized that she hadn’t transformed back into her normal self. Yuko hadn’t seemed fazed by it though but then Natalie didn’t think there was really anything that could faze her.
“Watanuki, would you get us some tea and snacks?”
“Snacks!” yelled Mokona from behind the couch as he popped up. Natalie almost jumped out of her boots. She hadn’t realized that Mokona wasn’t around. “Watanuki! Don’t forget the sake too!”
“Oh make sure it’s the good stuff Watanuki!” For the first time since Natalie got here Yuko actually showed some enthusiasm.
Natalie didn’t really want to stick around here though. Her curiousity for the world she had actually wanted to go to was starting to eat at her. She knew she had to entertain Yuko’s whims at least for a little while though but in the mean time she was going to figure out a way to get out of here sooner rather than later.
“You can transform back to what you’re more comfortable in you know,” Yuko said as she picked up her pipe from the table in front of her. “Oh and make yourself comfortable young lady, there are still a few more things we must discuss.”
“Oh great,” Natalie thought to herself. At this rate she was never going to get out of here. Taking Yuko’s suggestion she put her hand to the jewel in the center of her bow and in an instant flash of light she was back to wearing her favorite outfit, a t-shirt and jeans. Putting her pen safely away in her pocket, she took a seat in the chair opposite Yuko, putting the table between them.

No comments:

Post a Comment