Monday, January 2, 2012

A New Senshi: Fallen Angel - 4.7 - The Waiting Game

It had been four days since Amy had been taken and there were still no leads to getting her back. Everyone had been coming and going from the house using it like a command base of sorts. Fuhrer Mustang had come to Resembool bringing with him the best of his men, including Lieutenant Colonel Havoc. When they weren’t needed at the clinic, Alphonse and May were at the house too.
For the first day Nina wouldn’t come out of her room. She’d felt so useless after letting Amy be taken but Adrienne had finally coaxed her out. After what had happened, she’d told everyone about her abilities, well everyone that had been in town that night as well as her aunt and uncle and later Fuhrer Mustang and Lieutenant Colonel Havoc when they arrived. Even Edward had thought it was probably best for her to tell them after all, all things considered but they would be the only ones to know her true ability. Nina was alright with that. The people here were all important to her and she felt they all deserved to know anyway, even Adrienne. Edward still didn’t like it but yet again he’d been there to see things and he very well couldn’t be left in the dark after that.
Today, Nina was sitting out on the stone wall in the back yard, her knees to her chest and just looking aimlessly out over the landscape. Adrienne came outside to see her there and he couldn’t help but to smile as he noticed her hair drifting around her face as the light breeze played with it. He was careful not to startle her as he walked over and put his arms around her, her back still to him. “Hey, how are you feeling today?” he asked softly.
Nina sighed heavily. “I’m here I guess. I’m just really worried about Amy but that’s nothing new.”
“I’m sure she’s alive and well Nina. Amy isn’t one to go down without a huge fight and I think if that happened we’d know about no matter where in Amestris we were.”
Nina smiled warily. “You’re right so long as someone was dumb enough to attack her directly but I’m worried that something more… diabolical… is happening to her. Forgive the cliché.”
Adrienne hopped up on the wall beside her, facing the opposite direction from her so he could look into her eyes. “I don’t think Amy would even fall for that. She may not be as brilliant as you are Nina but she’s no slouch either, at least that’s from what I’ve seen.”
Nina sighed. “I know you’re right Adrienne but I still can’t help but to worry about her, at least until we get her back.”
“I understand,” he said as he put his hand on her knee. “Hey, how would you like to go for a ride? If nothing else, it might help make you feel better if only for a little while.”
Nina looked at him completely confused. “Ride? What kind of ride?”
Adrienne hopped down off of the wall and smiled. “Well since everyone is out, I was thinking of giving my wings a bit of a workout. I haven’t been able to let them out since I got here.”
Nina turned around on the wall so she was now sitting so she could face him. “Are you sure it’ll be OK? I mean, what if someone accidently sees us?”
Adrienne just laughed. “And who would believe a flying man if they saw one? I’m sure we’ll be fine.”
“I’m not too heavy for you to carry?”
“No way,” he said shaking his head. “Besides if I can carry you all by myself up to your room, I’m sure I can carry you and fly at the same time. If I think I might have a problem I’ll land, how’s that sound?”
Nina hopped down off of the wall and went over to him. “That might actually be fun. I’ve kind of always wondered what it would be like to fly…”
“Then that settles that then,” he said as he closed his eyes and let his snow white wings out. He then went over and picked Nina up holding her under her knees and around under her arms. Nina held on to him tightly. “Ready?”
“As I’ll ever be…”
With that Adrienne flapped his wings and took off causing Nina to hold more tightly onto him and slam her eyes shut. He could feel her trembling a bit and couldn’t help but to laugh. “You know, it looks a whole lot nicer if you open your eyes…”
Nina shook her head; this was more frightening than she had thought it was going to be.
“Come on Nina, trust me. It’s beautiful, not as much as you but still…”
His compliment took her off guard and she opened her eyes to look at him. In doing that she had a chance to see the landscape of Resembool like she never had before. It really was beautiful, the rolling green hillsides and pastures, the river flowing off into the distance in both directions, and it really was something to see. “Wow…” she said softly.
Adrienne couldn’t help but to chuckle. As they flew, a flock of birds flew by them. They were so close Nina could almost reach out and touch them but she wouldn’t dare try, she still didn’t trust letting go of him. “Is it always like this?” she asked him. “It’s so quiet and peaceful up here.”
“Yeah, that’s why I like it. No one bothers you up here because frankly they can’t. When I was little and I felt trapped I would sneak out late at night and just fly around the house in the moonlight. You think this is great, you should see it by the light of the moon. Everything looks even more amazing in the soft glow of the full moon.”
“Well maybe someday you can show me…” Nina said.
“I’d like that,” he replied smiling down at her. Just then he caught sight of an explosion. “What the heck was that?”
Nina had seen it too. “Can you get closer without us being seen?”
“I can try,” he said as he flew towards where they’d seen the explosion come from and then flew a bit lower. It was close enough for Nina to realize that her father and Fuhrer Mustang were up to something. “Adrienne, land… we have to check this out…”

No comments:

Post a Comment