Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A New Senshi: Fallen Angel - Chapter 2.4 - Orientation Day

The next morning Nina was up early and waiting outside the assembly hall for the orientation meeting to start. She actually hadn’t been able to sleep a wink after Adrienne had dropped her off back at the dorms so she figured why not get an early start. Since no one was around yet, Nina decided to sit down outside the door. She pulled a book from the bag she’d been carrying and started to read.
“How did I know you’d be the first one down here?” Amy said with a laugh as she walked up to her sister.
Closing her book, Nina looked up at her giving her a rather sarcastic looking grin. “And I didn’t expect you to be here this early. How did you manage to actually get out of bed on time?”
“I can do it if I want to,” Amy replied looking and sounding less than amused. “Besides, it’s hard to sleep with these guys pretty much beating down my door.”
Riley and his gang came walking up behind Amy. Nina sighed when she saw them. It was too early in the morning to be dealing with the Moron Squad. “Ah, I see,” she said as she put her book away and got up. “Good morning,” she continued trying to at least be polite.
“Good morning,” Austin replied before any of the others could. It would seem that he was still stuck on her even though she had pretty much turned him down cold last night.
More people started to gather outside the door. Nina was actually thankful for that since a few of them wanted to talk to her. It was only because of her exam score or because of whom her father was but that didn’t matter much to her, it saved her from having to deal with the awkwardness of Austin.
When the door opened, the crowd that had gathered moved inside and started to take their seats. Nina had managed to find Julia and had planned to sit with her until Dr. Rothstein found her.
“Good morning Ms. Elric,” he said with a smile as he placed his hand on her shoulder.
Turning with a bit of a start Nina smiled when she saw him. “Good morning Dr. Rothstein, how are you today?”
“I’m well thank you for asking. How about yourself? I hope you didn’t catch a chill or the like after last night I hope.”
Nina blushed a deep red. “No I’m fine thank you. Adrienne told you what happened?” she asked sounding rather embarrassed.
Rothstein couldn’t help but to chuckle at her. “Oh just about your unfortunate and unplanned swim in the fountain but don’t worry, though my son tells me things from time to time I don’t think he would tell me anything that would truly be embarrassing.”
Somehow that didn’t really comfort Nina that much. “Well, thank you for your concern Dr. Rothstein, but I think I should take a seat before…”
“That’s actually why I came to find you. If you would be so kind as to come with me, I’ve been asked to have you sit up on the stage for the presentation today. It seems the Fuhrer is here and he has something he’d like to present to you.”
Nina blushed. She didn’t exactly want to be treated as if she was any more special than anyone else but she also couldn’t protest that to Rothstein. She wouldn’t even if she could anyway. “Alright,” she said softly and followed him as they made their way to the stage. Once they had taken their seats and the rest of the room had filled, the orientation presentation began.
Dr. Rothstein stood up at the podium and greeted the incoming students and reminded the returning ones and the new alike about what would be expected of them. Once he was through, the representative from the Student Board got up and spoke about how the class schedules would be handed out once the assembly was over and when they could go to get the books and supplies they’d need for their classes. She finished by letting them know that there were also clubs and student organizations available for them to join and that there would be a separate fair for these once classes had begun.
Finally the formalities of the usual orientation were finished. Dr. Rothstein got up once more and went to the podium. “Alright, I know you’re all eager to get your class schedules but we have one more thing we’d like to do. It’s my pleasure and privilege to introduce to you Fuhrer Roy Mustang. Please join me in welcoming him here today.”
As he made the introduction, Mustang came out onto the stage and gave the room a subtle wave. It was clear he was carrying something in his other hand. Walking up to Dr. Rothstein, Mustang shook the doctor’s hand. “Thank you for the warm reception Dr. Rothstein,” he said with his usual cool smile. Dr. Rothstein stepped aside and allowed Mustang to stand at the podium. Setting the object he had been carrying down on it he smiled at the room. “It’s my pleasure to be here with you all today and it’s an honor for me to be here to present a very special award of achievement to Ms. Nina Elric. Would you please come here Ms. Elric?”
Nina swallowed hard suddenly feeling very nervous. She’d been around the Fuhrer many times in the past but to be up in front of everyone like this, that’s what really got to her. Getting up from her chair she took a few steps over towards the podium. Mustang smiled at her as she came up to stand beside him.
“As many of you know, Ms. Elric is the first since I created the Alchemy Academy system to get a perfect score on the acceptance exam. This is truly an historic occasion and I’d like you all to join me in congratulating her.” As he spoke, he took the covering off the object that he had placed on the podium. “Here I have an official acknowledgement from myself,” he started as he held up the framed document so it could be seen. “And as a token of this achievement I also have this.”Mustang reached into his pocket and pulled out a wooden box. When he opened it he took out its contents, a silver pocket watch, and held it up in his other hand. “This is one of the silver pocket watches granted when an alchemist is given State Certification as I’m sure you all are aware.”
Nina’s jaw nearly dropped and murmurs and whispers of shock could be easily heard throughout the room.
Now I know most of you are probably wondering why I would be giving such a thing to Ms. Elric now. It is a conditional appointment though she has already proven that she has just as much, if not more, knowledge of alchemy as any currently certified alchemist. This watch will allow her all the rights and privileges of any other State Alchemist and upon successful completion of her studies and graduation here at the Central Academy she will also be granted her official title.” Mustang then put the watch back in the box and handed it as well as the document to Nina. He then stepped aside so that she could say a few words.
Nina stepped up to the podium and just stood there for a few moments unable to believe any of this was happening. Finally, after taking a few deep breaths to calm her nerves, she spoke. “Thank you Fuhrer Mustang sir, this is really an honor. I don’t know as I deserve it but I will do my best not to let you and everyone else down.” Nina paused a moment before continuing, “I’m thankful that my twin sister Amy is here to see this, I just wish the rest of my family could have been here too. If it hadn’t been for all of them…” At that point Nina could feel herself choking up and tears forming in her eyes. “I’m sorry,” she continued with a shaky voice. “Thank you,” she managed before she turned from the podium and went back to sit down.
Dr. Rothstein got back up and stood beside Fuhrer Mustang. “Please, a round of applause for Ms. Elric,” he said as he began to clap. Everyone joined in and Nina stood once again on shaky legs bowing her head to them in appreciation.
Once the noise had died down a bit, the room began to clear so that the students could go and get their class schedules. Nina started to make her way off of the stage so she could do the same until Dr. Rothstein stopped her.
“Here you are Nina,” he said as he handed her a piece of paper. “I wanted to give this to you personally so I took the liberty of getting it for you.”
When she took the paper she saw that it was her schedule. Quickly looking it over she then looked at Rothstein in a bit of amazement.
Rothstein saw the look on her face and smiled. “I’ve made sure you’ll be in my classes this semester. Usually one would have to wait until at least their second semester before having a chance to take my classes but given your proven talent I think you can handle it.”
Nina beamed. “Thank you sir! You don’t know how much this means to me.”
Rothstein chuckled. “Oh and I’ve also arranged for your lab partner as well. You’ll be paired with my son Adrienne. I’m sure that won’t be a problem will it?” Rothstein then winked at her.
She was speechless and blushing so much that if she could have turned purple she probably would have. “No, it’s not a problem at all,” she replied softly. “I don’t know how to… How can I ever…”
Rothstein shook his head. “Don’t worry about thanking me. Do your best and make this school and this country proud, that will be thanks enough.”
“I will sir, thank you,” Nina said, still sounding soft and shy.
Rothstein put his hand on her shoulder and smiled as he walked past her and away. Once he was gone, Mustang came up to her. Nina smiled at him as he approached. “Thank you for all of this Fuhrer Mustang.”
He shook his head. “I don’t know as you should be thanking me,” he said with a laugh. “I’m sure once Fullmetal finds out what I’ve done he’s not going to be happy.”
Nina just laughed. “He’ll get over it. Besides, Daddy can’t be mad, he had his certification at twelve, five years earlier than me. He even had his official title and everything at that point, I don’t.”
“Well about that, the only reason I didn’t actually give you your official title and codename was because I’m sure yet what a proper name to give you would be considering most codenames are based on specialization. Show me more of your talents and then I’ll give you your title then. That stays between you and me though.”
Nina chuckled. “Yes sir, you have my word, I won’t tell anyone.”
“Good, now I have to go make sure my son isn’t slacking off. Congratulations again Ms. Elric,” he said as he walked off.
Nina stood there for a moment just trying to let this all sink in. She figured she should put the things she had been given away before she went to get her books. It was also an excuse to avoid most of the crowds of people for a little while. Also, she wanted to make sure the pocket watch was safe, the last thing she wanted was for someone to think they could try and steal it.

No comments:

Post a Comment